Cusumano, Joseph P.
Office phone: (814) 865-3179
Office address: 305D Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
Secondary Office phone:
Secondary Office address: 306 Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
- Ph.D., Theoretical & Applied Mechanics, Cornell University, 1990
- M.Sc., Applied Mathematics, Brown University, 1982
- B.S., Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Cornell University, 1979
Years of Service with Penn State
- Apr 2003 – Present Professor of Engineering Science & Mechanics
- Apr 1995 – Apr 2003 Associate Professor of Engineering Science & Mechanics
- Sept 1988 – Apr 1995 Assistant Professor of Engineering Science & Mechanics
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- 1985 – 1988 Research Assistant, Nonlinear Dynamics Laboratory, Department of Theoretical & Applied Mechanics, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
- 1982 – 1985 Energy Consultant, Self Employed, New York, New York
- 1979 – 1981 Process Design Engineer, Advanced Energy Systems, Babcock & Wilcox, Barberton, Ohio
Recent Principal Publications
- J. P. Cusumano, A. Roy, and Q. Li (2015) “Damage Dynamics, Rate Laws, and Failure Statistics via Hamilton's Principle,” Meccanica, 50(1), pp. 77–98.
- J. B. Dingwell and J. P. Cusumano (2015) “Identifying Stride-To-Stride Control Strategies in Human Treadmill Walking,” PLoS ONE, 10(4), pp. e0124879.
- Nicholas W. Sterling, Joseph P. Cusumano, Noam Shaham, Stephen J. Piazza, Guodong Liu, Lan Kong, Guangwei Du, Mechelle Lewis, and Xuemei Huang (2015) “The Effects of Dopaminergic Drugs on Arm Swing in Parkinson’s Disease,” Journal of Parkinson’s Disease, 5(1), pp. 141–150.
- S. G. Abaimov and J. P. Cusumano (2014) “Nucleation Phenomena in an Annealed Damage Model: Statistics of Times to Failure,” Physical Review E, 90(6), pp. 062401.
- Joseph P. Cusumano, Joseph M. Mahoney, and Jonathan B. Dingwell (2014) “The Dynamical Analysis of Inter-Trial Fluctuations Near Goal Equivalent Manifolds,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, 826, pp. 125–145.
- Joseph P. Cusumano and Jonathan B. Dingwell (2013) “Movement Variability Near Goal Equivalent Manifolds: Fluctuations, Control, and Model-Based Analysis,” Human Movement Science, 32(5), pp. 899–923.
- J. B. Dingwell, R. F. Smallwood, and J. P. Cusumano (2013) “Trial-to-trial Dynamics and Learning in a Generalized, Redundant Reaching Task,” Journal of Neurophysiology, 109(1), pp. 225–237.
- Xuemei Huang, Joseph Mahoney, Mechelle Lewis, Stephen J. Piazza, and Joseph P. Cusumano (2011) “Both Coordination and Symmetry of Arm Swing Are Reduced in Parkinson's Disease,” Gait & Posture, 35(3), pp. 373–377.
- J. B. Dingwell and J. P. Cusumano (2010) “Do Humans Optimally Exploit Redundancy to Control Step Variability in Walking?,” PLoS Computional Biology, 6(7), pp. e1000856.
- J. B. Dingwell and J. P. Cusumano (2010) “Re-Interpreting Detrended Fluctuation Analyses of Stride-To-Stride Variability in Human Walking,” Gait & Posture, 32(3), pp. 348–353.
- Lucas J. Passmore, O. O. Awadelkarim, and J. P. Cusumano (2009) “High-Sensitivity Tracking of MOSFET Damage Using Dynamic-Mode Transient Measurements.,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 59(6), pp. 1734–1742.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- Society for Neuroscience, Member (2014 – Present)
- American Association of University Professors, Member (2013 – Present)
- Society for Engineering Science, Member (2011 – Present)
- American Society for Biomechanics, Member (2010 – Present)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (1988 – Present)
- U.S. Patent 6,567,752 B2, Joseph Cusumano, David Chelidze and Anindya Chatterjee. A General Method for Tracking the Evolution of Hidden Damage or Other Unwanted Changes in Machinery Components and Predicting Remaining Useful Life (20 May 2003)
Honors and Awards
- GCMAS Annual Meeting Best Paper Award (with Jonathan B. Dingwell): Increased Gait Variability May Not Imply Impaired Stride-To-Stride Control in Healthy Elderly, Gait and Clinical Movement Analysis Society (2013)
- GCMAS Annual Meeting Best Paper Award (with Steven J. Piazza, Xuemei Huang, Joseph Mahoney, Mechelle Lewis, and Guangwei Du): Arm Swing and Coordination Are Reduced in Early Parkinson’s Disease, Gait and Clinical Movement Analysis Society (2011)
- Osher Fellowship, The Exploratorium, a Museum of Science, Art, and Human Perception, San Francisco (1997)
- Outstanding Teacher Award, Penn State Engineering Society (1995)
- Outstanding New Mechanics Educator Award, ASEE (1992)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Chair, ESM Department Undergraduate Portfolio Committee (2007 – Present)
- Chair, ESM Department Mechanics Candidacy Exam Committee (2007 – Present)
- 2014 USNCTAM Symposium Organizer: Special Symposium in Honor of Francis Moon's 75th Birthday, United States National Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (July 2013 – July 2014)
- 2014 USNCTAM Symposium Organizer: Experiments in Dynamics, United States National Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (July 2013 – July 2014)
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Vibrations and Acoustics, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2001 – 2007)
Login to Edit