Segall, Albert E.
Office phone: (814) 865-7829
Office address: 403B Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
Office hours location: 403B EES Building
Office hours phone: (814) 865-7829
- Ph.D., Engineering Science and Mechanics, The Pennsylvania State University, 1992
- M.S., Engineering Mechanics, The Pennsylvania State University, 1986
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, 1982
Years of Service with Penn State
- Aug 2008 – Present Graduate Officer
- Aug 2008 – Present Professor
- Aug 2002 – Aug 2008 Associate Professor
- July 1992 – July 1999 Senior Research Associate
- July 1987 – July 1992 Research Assistant
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- Aug 2000 – July 2002 Director of Engineering Programs, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Washington State University, Vancouver, WA
- Aug 1999 – July 2002 Associate Professor, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Washington State University, Vancouver, WA
Recent Principal Publications
- Peter Blau, K.M. Cooley, D. Bansai, Ivi Smid, Tim Eden, M. Neshastehriz, John Potter, and Albert E. Segall (2013) “Spectrum Loading Effects on the Running-in of Lubricated Bronze and Surface Treated Titanium against Alloy Steel,” Wear, 302, pp. 1064–1072.
- Albert E. Segall, Corina Drapaca, and Dave Engels (2012) “Inverse Determination of Thermal Boundary Conditions from Transient Surface Temperatures and Strains in Slabs and Tubes,” Journal of Materials, and Manufacturing Processes, 27, pp. 860–868.
- Albert E. Segall, John Meeker, and Vlad Semak (Feb 2010) “Surface Effects of Alumina Ceramics Machined with Femto-Second Lasers,” Journal of Laser Applications, 22(1), pp. 1–6.
- Albert E. Segall, Carl Hager, John Sanders, Sashi Sharma, and Andre Voevodan (2009) “The Effect of Temperature on Gross-Slip Fretting Wear of Cold Sprayed Nickel Coatings on Ti6Al4V Interfaces,” Tribology International, 42, pp. 91–502.
- John McConnell, Albert E. Segall, and Tim Eden (Feb 2008) “The Dry Sliding Behavior of Al2O3 Transformed, Hypereutectic, 2xxx, and 7xxx, Aluminum Alloys under Simulated Wire–Rope Induced Wear,” Tribology & Lubrication Technology,” Tribology & Lubrication Technology, 63(2), pp. 30–38.
- Albert E. Segall and Chris Knepper (Oct 2007) “Analytical Method for the Inverse Determination of Interfacial Wear Temperatures,” STLE Tribology Transactions, 50(4), pp. 523–530.
- Albert E. Segall and John Meeker (May 2007) “Mode-I Stress-Intensity Factors for a Cracked Slab under an Arbitrary Thermal-Shock,” ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 129(2), pp. 306–312.
- Albert E. Segall and Ravindra Akarapu (Feb 2007) “Approximate Direct and Inverse Relationships for Thermal and Stress-States in Thick-Walled Vessels under Thermal Shock,” ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 129(1), pp. 52–57.
- Osama Jadaan, Noel Memeth, and Albert E. Segall (Jan 2007) “Time-Dependent Reliability of Thermally Shocked SiC Tubes,” ASTM Journal of Testing and Evaluation, 35(1), pp. 75–84.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- Fellow 2010
- Fellow 2013
- Consultant, MER Corporation (Jan 2011 – Jan 2012)
- Consultant, BTU Inc. (May 2009 – Jan 2010)
- Consultant, Army Research Lab, Aberdeen, MD (Jan 2007 – Dec 2007)
- Consultant, Element6 (South Africa), South Africa (Nov 2007 – Nov 2007)
Honors and Awards
- Fellow of the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers (STLE), Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers (STLE) (2013)
- Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), American Society of Mechanical Engineers (1 May 2010)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Chair of ESM Candidacy Exam (Materials) Committee, Penn State University (Sept 2007 – Present)
- Mechanics Curriculum Committee, Penn State University (Jan 2006 – Present)
- Present, Associate Editor of the refereed STLE Tribology Transactions, STLE (Jan 2005 – Present)
- Acting Chair and then Co-Chair of the Intercollege Graduate Program in Materials, Penn State University (Jan 2004 – Present)
- Ad Hoc Laser Safety Committee, Penn State University (Jan 2003 – Dec 2004)
Login to Edit