Shaw, Barbara A.
Office phone: (814) 865-7828
Office address: 403C Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
- Ph.D., Materials Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 1989
- M.S., Materials Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 1985
- B.S., Ocean Engineering, Florida Atlantic University, 1980
Years of Service with Penn State
- July 2003 – Present Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics
- July 1995 – July 2003 Assocate Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics
- Jan 1990 – July 1995 Assistant Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- Nov 1988 – Dec 1989 Scientist, Surface Science and Corrosion, Martin Marietta Corporate Research Laboratories, Baltimore,MD
- May 1981 – Nov 1988 Engineer, Corrosion Branch, David Taylor Naval Ship Research and Development Center, Annapolis MD
Recent Principal Publications
- Barbara A. Shaw and Elizabeth Sikora (2014) “Crystalline Alloys: Magnesium,” in book entitled Environmental Degradation of Advanced and Technical Engineering Materials, pp. 21–65, edited by Lloyd H Hihara, Ralph P.I. Adler, and Ronald M Latanision. CRC Press Taylor and Francis Group, Boca Raton.
- Brian S DeForce and Barbara A. Shaw (June 2013) “Crevice Corrosion of Type 444 Stainless Steel in a Mildly Acidic Chloride Solution-Detection of an Anodic Peak Prior to the Onset of Corrosion,” Corrosion, 69, pp. 614.
- (2008) “Corrosion within the Human Body: Prospects and Problems with Bioimplants,” Interface, 14, pp. 24.
- Barbara A. Shaw, Elizabeth Sikora, and Sanna Virtanen (2008) “Fix, Heal, and Disappear: A New Approach to Using Metals in the Human Body,” Interface, 18(2), pp. 47–51.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- Corrosion consultants on failed above ground storage tank in Charleston, WV in January 2013
- Federal lawsuit involving corrosion at the Hovensa refinery in St. Croix, US VI.
- ASTM, member (2010 – Present)
- Electrochemical Society, member (1985 – Present)
- NACE International, member (1983 – Present)
- Corrosion advice on materials selection for pharmaceutical processing equipment.
- Lawsuit involving failure of an under- ground sewage pipe at an industrial site.
- Corrosion advice on redesign of a printer component
- Aided in corrosion analysis of a prototype biomedical implant
- Consulting on corrosion aspects of powder metallurgy alloys.
- Expert witness services on a lawsuit involving corrosion of steel.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow Award, NACE International (Mar 2009)
- NACE International’s 1996 H.H. Uhlig Young Educator Award, NACE International (1996)
- 1994 Outstanding Research Award - Penn State Engineering Society, Penn State SES (1994)
- 1993 Provost's Award for Collaborative Instruction and Curricular Innovation, Penn State (1993)
- 1993 ONR Young Investigator Award, Office of Navel Research (1993)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- ESM Scholarship Committee, Penn State ESM Dept (June 1990 – Present)
- Engineering Science Undergraduate Officer, Penn State ESM Dept (June 2011 – Present)
- ESM Undergraduate curriculum committee/ thesis committee/portfolio committee, member, Penn State ESM Dept (June 2011 – Present)
- Engineering Science ABET Committee Chair, PSU Department of Engineering Science (June 2011 – Present)
- University Promotion and Tenure Committee, Penn State (July 2012 – June 2014)
- College of Engineering Promotion and Tenure committee, Penn State (Aug 2008 – July 2010)
Login to Edit