Tittmann, Bernhard R.
Office phone: (814) 865-7827
Office address: 309E Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
Office hours: Tuesday, Thursday: 3:30 - 4:30pm or by appointment
Office hours location: 309C EES Building
Office hours phone: (814) 865-7827
- Ph.D., Solid State Physics, University of California at Los Angeles, 1965
- M.S., Physics, UCLA, 1961
- B.S. (cum laude), Physics, George Washington University, Washington, D.C., 1957
Years of Service with Penn State
- July 1989 – July 2014 Professor
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- Sept 1966 – Sept 1989 Group Manager, Materials Evaluation, Rockwell Science Center, Thousand Oaks, California
- Sept 1965 – Sept 1966 Assistant Professor, Physics, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- Aug 1957 – Sept 1961 Technical Staff - Research, Research Department, Hughes Aircraft, Culver City, CA
Recent Principal Publications
- J. M. Sakamoto, G. M. Pacheco, C. Kitano, and Bernhard R. Tittmann (2014) “Geometrical parameter analysis of a high-sensitivity fiber optic angular displacement sensor,” Applied Optics, 53(36), pp. 8436–8443.
- Bernhard R. Tittmann, X. Xi, and ndez-Vilas (2014) “Imaging and quantitative data acquisition of biological cell walls with Atomic Force Microscopy and Scanning Acoustic Microscopy,” in book entitled Microscopy: Advances in Scientific Research and Education, pp. 161–172, edited by A. Mé. Formatex Research Center, Badajoz, Spain.
- Bernhard R. Tittmann and A. Ebert (2013) “Application of Acoustic Techniques for Characterization of Biological Samples,” in book entitled Acoustic Scanning Probe Microscopy, pp. 471–483, edited by F. Marinello, D. Passeri, and E. Savio. Springer, New York, NY.
- J. M. Sakamoto, C. Kitano, G. M. Pacheco, and Bernhard R. Tittmann (2012) “High sensitivity fiber optic angular displacement sensor and its application for detection of ultrasound,” Applied Optics, 51(20), pp. 4841–4851.
- H. S. Ju, E. Gottlieb, D. Augenstein, G. Brown, and Bernhard R. Tittmann (2010) “An Empirical Method to Estimate the Viscosity of Mineral Oil by Means of Ultrasonic Attenuation,” IEEE Transaction on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, 57(7), pp. 1612–1620.
- J. Du, Bernhard R. Tittmann, and H. S. Ju (2010) “Evaluation of Film Adhesion to Substrates by Means of Surface Acoustic Wave Dispersion,” Thin Solid Films, 516(29), pp. 5786–5795.
- A. Baba, C. T. Searfass, and Bernhard R. Tittmann (2010) “High Temperature Ultrasonic Transducer up to 1000°C Using Lithium Niobate Single Crystal,” Applied Physics Letters, 97.
- X. Xhao and Bernhard R. Tittmann (2010) “High-Temperature Surface Acoustic Wave Transducer,” NASA Tech Briefs, 34(10), pp. 26.
- S.-C. Lin, Bernhard R. Tittmann, J.-H. Sun, T.-T. Wu, and T. J. Huang (2009) “Acoustic Beamwidth Compressor Using Gradient-Index Phononic Crystals,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 42, pp. 185502.
- E. Maev, F. Severin, Bernhard R. Tittmann, and R. Gr. Maeva (2009) “Acoustic Imaging of Thick Biological Tissue,” IEEE Transaction on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, 56(7), pp. 1354–1358.
- M. Pedrick, Bernhard R. Tittmann, and J. Seliga (2009) “Design and Performance of a Broadband 10 MHz Transducer for Elevated Temperature, Leave-in-Place Applications,” Materials Evaluation, 67(2), pp. 149–153.
- H. S. Ju and Bernhard R. Tittmann (2009) “Recent Advances in Scanning Acoustic Microscopy for Adhesion Evaluation of Thin Films,” Journal of Korean Society for Nondestructive Testing, 29(6), pp. 534–549.
- Bernhard R. Tittmann and C. E. Yen (2008) “Acoustic Emission Technique for Monitoring the Pyrolysis of Composites for Process Control,” Ultrasonics, 48(6–7), pp. 621–630.
- S. Maghsoudy-Louyeh and Bernhard R. Tittmann (2008) “Assessment of Hydrous Affinity of Selected Material,” Colloids and Surfaces A, 331(3), pp. 268–274.
- M. Bezdek and Bernhard R. Tittmann (2008) “Dispersion Analysis of a Three-Layered Waveguide with Finite Element and Matrix Methods,” Acta Acoustica, 94(1), pp. 792–806.
- Bernhard R. Tittmann and J. S. Sandman (2008) “Towards an Ultrasonic Sensor for Pressure Vessels,” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 130.
- Bernhard R. Tittmann, C. Miyasaka, A. M. Mastro, and R. R. Mercer (2007) “Study of Cellular Adhesion with Scanning Acoustic Microscopy,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, 54(8), pp. 1502–1513.
- M. Pedrick, S. Iyer, Bernhard R. Tittmann, and S. Sinha (2007) “Ultrasonic Discontinuity Detection in Thin-Walled Concrete,” Materials Evaluation, 65(9), pp. 923–928.
- C. E. Yen and Bernhard R. Tittmann (2007) “Ultrasonic Properties of Carbon/Carbon Composite and the Use of Guided Waves for the Structural Health Monitoring of Pyrolysis,” in proceedings ICUltrasonics, Elsevier, International Congress on Ultrasonics, April 9–12, 2007, Vienna, Austria.
- Bernhard R. Tittmann (2006) “New Techniques to Characterize Soft Rubber Materials Used in Tires,” in proceedings Proceedings of ICSV13, 13th International Congress on Sound and Vibration, July 2–6, 2006, Vienna, Austria.
- A. Ebert, Bernhard R. Tittmann, J. Du, and W. Scheuchenzuber (2006) “Technique for Rapid in Vitro Single-Cell Elastography,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, 32(11), pp. 1687–1702.
- J. S. Sandman and Bernhard R. Tittmann (2006) “Ultrasonic Sensor for High Temperature Gas Filled Vessels,” in proceedings Nondestructive Evaluation, edited by William Springer, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2006 ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference, July 23–27, 2006, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- C. Miyasaka and Bernhard R. Tittmann (2005) “Acoustic Microscopy Applied to Ceramic Pressure Vessels and Associated Components,” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 127(3), pp. 214–219.
- S. Koetterl, G. Traxler, and Bernhard R. Tittmann (2005) “Advanced thermography and Image Analysis to In-line Non-destructive Quality Inspection,” in proceedings Proceedings of the AMT 2005 Workshop, AMT, AMT 2005 Workshop, May 16–18, London, Ontario, Canada.
- (2005) “Sonic Pressure Vessel Sensor,” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 127(3), pp. 226–229.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- American Chemical Society (ACS), Member (2005 – Present)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers International (ASME), Member (2001 – Present)
- Acoustical Society of America (ASA), Fellow (2000 – Present)
- American Ceramic Society (ACS), Member (1995 – Present)
- International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE), Member (1995 – Present)
- Materials Research Society (MRS), Member (1995 – Present)
- American Society for Metals (ASM) International, Fellow (1993 – Present)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (IEEE), Life Fellow (1990 – Present)
- American Society of Nondestructive Testing (ASNT), Member (1980 – Present)
- American Physical Society (APS), Member (1964 – Present)
- U.S. Patent 4,869,097, Rockwell International Corporation. Sonic Gas Pressure Gauge (26 Sept 1989)
- U.S. Patent 4,862,384, Rockwell International Corporation. Method of Measuring the Dynamic Viscosity of A Viscous Fluid Utilizing Acoustic Transducer (29 Aug 1989)
- U.S. Patent 4,779,452, Rockwell International Corporation. High Temperature Ultrasonic Viscometer (25 Oct 1988)
- U.S. Patent 4,698,058, Albert R. Greenfield. Ultrasonic Self-Cleaning Catheter System for Indwelling Drains and Medication Supply (6 Oct 1987)
- U.S. Patent 4,372,163, Rockwell International Corporation. Acoustic Measurement of Near-Surface Property Gradients (8 Feb 1983)
- U.S. Patent 4,307,614, Rockwell International Corporation. Method and Apparatus for Characterizing Surface Flaws Utilizing Ultrasonic Surface Waves (29 Dec 1981)
- U.S. Patent 4,274,288, Rockwell International Corporation. Method for Measuring the Depth of Surface Flaws (23 June 1981)
Honors and Awards
- Member of Who's Who, Strathmore (2004)
- Consulting Editor, Atchives of Acoustics, Polish Academy of Sciences (2003)
- Prix d’excellence general, Penn State Intensive Language School (2001)
- Senior Fulbright Scholar, U.S. Department of State (1999)
- Distinguished Lecturer, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (IEEE)--Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control (1998)
- Outstanding Research Award, Penn State Engineering Society (1998)
- Visiting Professor, Johannes Kepler University, Linz, Austria (1997)
Login to Edit