Rose, Joseph L.
Paul Morrow Professor
Office phone: (814) 863-8026
Office address: 411E Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
Office hours: By appointment
- Ph.D., Applied Mechanics, Drexel University, 1970
- M.S., Applied Mechanics, Drexel Institute of Technology, 1967
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Drexel Institute of Technology, 1965
Years of Service with Penn State
- Jan 1992 – Present Paul Morrow Professor of Engineering Design and Manufacturing
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- Sept 1988 – Dec 1991 Albert and Harriet Soffa Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
- June 1978 – Aug 1988 Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
Recent Principal Publications
- Joseph L. Rose (2014) TEXTBOOK - Ultrasonic Guided Waves in Solid Media, Cambridge University Press, New York.
- C. Borigo, F. Yan, Y. Liang, and Joseph L. Rose (Dec 2013) “A Novel Ultrasonic Vibration Analysis Technique for Defect Detection,” Materials Evaluation, 71(10).
- J. Bostron, Joseph L. Rose, and C. Moose (Dec 2013) “Ultrasonic guided interface waves at a soft-stiff boundary,” JASA, 134(6), pp. 4351–4359.
- J. Koduru and Joseph L. Rose (Nov 2013) “Mode controlled guided wave tomography using annular array transducers for SHM of water loaded plate like structures,” Smart Materials and Structures, 22(12).
- J. Hua, J. Mu, and Joseph L. Rose (Mar 2013) “Guided wave propagation and focusing in multi-layer pipe with viscoelasticity coating and infinite soil media,” Materials Evaluation, 71(3), pp. 369–377.
- Joseph L. Rose (2011) Seeking the Edge: Thoughts on Wisdom and Success, iUniverse, Inc., Bloomington, Indiana.
- H. Gao and Joseph L. Rose (2010) “Goodness Dispersion Curves for Ultrasonic Guided Wave Based SHM: A Sample Problem in Corrosion Monitoring,” The Aeronautical Journal of the Royal Aeronautical Society, 114(1151), pp. 49–56.
- Joseph L. Rose (2010) “Guided Wave Successes and Challenges for Ultrasonic Testing in NDT and SHM,” Materials Evaluation, 68(5), pp. 495–500.
- J. Mu, L. Zhang, J. Hua, and Joseph L. Rose (2010) “Pipe inspection with guided wave synthetic focusing techniques,” Materials Evaluation, 68(10), pp. 1171–1176.
- P. Puthillath and Joseph L. Rose (2010) “Ultrasonic guided wave inspection of a Titanium repair patch bonded to an Aluminum aircraft skin.,” International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 30, pp. 566–573.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- FBS, Inc. State College, PA - Consultant to over 10 companies through FBS, Inc.
- American Society for Nondestructive Testing, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing, Fellow in all listed (1995 – Present)
- U.S. Patent 8,217,554, FBS, Inc.. An Ultrasonic Vibration System and Method for Removing/Avoiding Unwanted Build-up on Structures (10 July 2012)
- U.S. Patent 8,170,809, FBS, Inc.. Guided Waves for Nondestructive Testing of Pipes (MsS) (1 May 2012)
Honors and Awards
- SPIE Smart Structures/ NDE Lifetime Achievement Award - In recognition of Dr. Rose's sustained contributions to the advancement of Non-destructive Evaluation and Structural Health Monitoring, SPIE (Mar 2011)
- University Graduate Faculty Teaching Award, Penn State University (2011)
- Celebration of Joseph Rose Accomplishments in Ultrasonics - 4 Sessions in the SHM Symposium, 16th U.S. National Congress on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (2010)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Visiting Scholar Adviser with over 15 visiting scholars, Plenary/Keynote Speaker, Participant and Leader at over 10 different conferences/workshops., International cooperation with Bahrain, China, Costa Rica, England, Germany, Japan, Korea, India, Iran, Italy, Poland, Spain and Turkey (2008 – Present)
- Associate Editor for 3 journals, Technical Session Chairman at several conferences and Technical Reviewer for over 20 different journals. (1992 – Present)
- Principal Advisor to over 60 Ph.D. and 100 M.S. students over 40 years, Drexel and Penn State Universities (1992 – Present)
Login to Edit