Associate Professor of Engineering Science & Mechanics and Adjunct Professor of Electrical Engineering
Office phone: (814) 863-0721
Office address: 205B Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
Office hours: Friday: Noon - 2:45pm
Office hours location: 205B EES Building
Office hours phone: (814) 863-0721
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University Of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2003
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlotteville, 1998
- B.S., Optoelectronics, Tianjin University, China, 1992
Years of Service with Penn State
- May 2009 – Present Associate Professor of Engineering Science and Adjunct Professor of Electrical Engineering
- Aug 2003 – May 2009 Assistant Professor of Engineering Science
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- Mar 2003 – Aug 2003 Postdoc, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Sept 1999 – Feb 2003 Research Assistant, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Sept 1998 – May 1999 Teaching Assistant, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Sept 1995 – May 1998 Research Assistant, Electrical Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
Recent Principal Publications
- Jian Xu, Ron Henderson, and Guanjun You (Aug 2013) “Time-resolved fluorescence up-conversion study of radiative recombination dynamics in III-nitride light emitting diodes over a wide bias range,” APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS, 103(6), pp. 121109.
- Jie Liu, Mohney Suzanne, and Jian Xu (June 2013) “Nonradiative Energy Transfer between Colloidal Quantum Dot-Phosphors and Silicon Carbide Diodes,” Journal of Electronic Materials, 42(5), pp. 805–808.
- Xuefeng Zhang, Li Wang, and Jian Xu (May 2013) “Gate length related transfer characteristics of GaN-based high electron mobility transistors,” APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS, 102(12), pp. 113501–113503.
- Fan Zhang, Mohney Suzanne, and Jian Xu (2012) “Nonradiative energy transfer between colloidal quantum dot-phosphors and nanopillar nitride LEDs,” Optics Express, 20, pp. 333.
- Chunfeng Zhang, Mohney Suzanne, and Jian Xu (Dec 2009) “Two-Photon Pumped Lasing from Colloidal Nanocrystal Quantum Dots,” Optics Letters, 33, pp. 2437.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- The International Society For Optical Engineering, Member (2005 – Present)
- The Optical Society of America, Member (2004 – Present)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Member (2000 – Present)
- U.S. Patent 61154601 (Provisional), Jian Xu, S. Ashok. Germanium Based Light Emitting Apparatus (1 Apr 2009)
- U.S. Patent 60/909, 160, Jian Xu and Jerzy Ruzullo. Mist Fabrication of Nanocrystal based Light Emitting Devices and Their Arrays with Shadow Masks (26 Sept 2007)
Honors and Awards
- NSF Career Award, National Science Foundation (25 Sept 2009)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Member, ESM undergraduate admission committee (Jan 2010 – Present)
- Symposium Chair, Fall Meeting of the Electrochemical Society 2009, Symposium on Semiconductor Nanocrystal and Metal Nanostructure Enhanced Photonic Devices (Oct 2009 – Present)
- Chair, ESM Candidacy Exam Bio/nanotechnology Committee (Jan 2009 – Dec 2013)
- Member, Executive Comittee, SPIE Photonics West (Jan 2010 – Jan 2012)
Login to Edit