Horn, Mark W.
Office phone: (814) 865-0332
Office address: 305C Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
Office hours location: 305C EES Building
Office hours phone: (814) 865-0332
- Ph.D., Engineering Science and Mechanics, The Pennsylvania State University, 1989
- M.S., Engineering Science and Mechanics, The Pennsylvania State University, 1985
- B.S. (High Distinction/ Honors), Engineering Science and Mechanics, Pennsylvania State University, 1982
Years of Service with Penn State
- July 2008 – Present Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics
- July 2007 – June 2008 Associate Professor of Engineering Science (tenured)
- July 2001 – May 2007 Associate Professor of Engineering Science (tenure track)
- June 1998 – June 2001 Associate Professor (non tenure track)
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- June 1988 – May 1998 Member of Technical Staff, Submicrometer Technology Group, MIT Lincoln Laboratory, Lexington, MA
Recent Principal Publications
- Rona Bonai, Hyeonseok Lee, Michael Motyka, Ramprasad Chandrsekharan, Nikolas Podraza, Jeffery RS Brownson, and M. W. Horn (July 2013) “Optical Properties of Sputtered SnS Thin Films for Photovoltaic Absorbers,” IEEE JOURNAL OF PHOTOVOLTAICS, 3(3), pp. 1084–1089.
- Hyeonseok Lee and M. W. Horn (July 2013) “Sculptured platinum nanowire counter electrodes for dye-sensitized solar cells,” THIN SOLID FILMS, 540, pp. 208–2011.
- Adem Ozcelik, Orlando Carbacos, Dave Allara, and Mark W. Horn (May 2013) “Vanadium Oxide Thin Films Alloyed with Ti, Zr, Nb, and Mo for Uncooled Infrared Imaging Applications,” JOURNAL OF ELECTRONIC MATERIALS, 42(5), pp. 901–905.
- Michael Motyka, Bryan Gauntt, Mark W. Horn, E. C. Dickey, and Nikolas Podraza (Nov 2012) “Microstructural evolution of thin film vanadium oxide prepared by pulsed-direct current magnetron sputtering,” JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS, 112(9), pp. 093504.
- Hitesh Basantani, Scott Kozlowski, Myung-yoon Lee, E. C. Dickey, Thomas N. Jackson, and M. W. Horn (June 2012) “Enhanced electrical and noise properties of nanocomposite vanadium oxide thin films by reactive pulsed-dc magnetron sputtering,” APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS, 100(26), pp. 262108.
- Bryan Gauntt, E. C. Dickey, and M. W. Horn (Apr 2009) “Stoichiometry and microstructural effects on electrical conduction in pulsed dc sputtered vanadium oxide thin films,” JOURNAL OF MATERIALS RESEARCH, 24(4), pp. 1590–1599.
- Fan Zhang, Jian Xu, Akhlesh Lakhtakia, Sean M. Pursel, Mark W. Horn, and Andrew Wang (2007) “Circularly polarized emission from colloidal nanocrystal quantum dots confined in microcavities formed by chiral mirrors,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 91, pp. 023102.
- J. RaviPrakash, A. McDaniel, M. W. Horn, L. Pilione, P. Sunal, R. Messier, R. T. McGrath, and F. K. Schweighardt (2007) “Hydrogen Sensors: Role of Palladium Thin Film Morphology,” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 120,, pp. 39–446.
- Sean M. Pursel and Mark W. Horn (2007) “Prospects for Nanowire Sculptured Thin Film Devices,” J. Vac. Sci. Technol., B(25), pp. 2611–2615.
- C. Srinivasan, T. J. Mullen, J. N. Hohman, M. E. Anderson, A. A. Dameron, A. M. Andrews, E. C. Dickey, M. W. Horn, and P. S. Weiss (2007) “Scanning electron microscopy of nanoscale chemical patterns,” ACS Nano, 1, pp. 191–201.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- American Vacuum Society, member (2007 – Present)
- Materials Research Society, member (2007 – Present)
- SPIE, member (2007 – Present)
- Expert Witness, Guardian Glass (Oct 2010 – May 2012)
Honors and Awards
- PSES Outstanding Teaching Award, PSES (Apr 2008)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Member, Engineering Faculty Council (Aug 2006 – June 2009)
- Section Head, Session Chair, Program Committee, International Conference on Electron, Ion, and Photon Beam Technology & Nanofabrication (2005 – 2008)
Login to Edit