Hamilton, Reginald F.
Associate Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics
Office phone: (814) 865-7684
Office address: 202 Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
Office hours: Wednesday: 1:30 - 2:30pm
Office hours location: 309D EES Building
Office hours phone: (814) 865-7684
Secondary Office phone:
Secondary Office address: 309D Earth and Engineering Sciences Building
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2008
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Southern University Baton Rouge, 1998
Years of Service with Penn State
- Jan 2010 – Present Assistant Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- Aug 2008 – Nov 2009 Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL
- Dec 1998 – Aug 2000 Physical Design Engineer, Lucent Technologies, Naperville, IL
Recent Principal Publications
- Asheesh Lanba and Reginald F. Hamilton (Feb 2014) “Elastic and Irreversible Energies of a Two-Stage Martensitic Transformation in NiTi utilizing Calorimetric Measurements,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, pp. 1–9.
- Asheesh Lanba and Reginald F. Hamilton (2013) “NiTi-based SMAs for Self-Post-Tensioned Bridge Girders,” in proceedings Proceedings of the American Society for Composites 2013-Twenty-Eight Technical Conference, edited by Charles E Bakis, DEStech Publications, Inc, Twenty-eighth Technical Conference on Composite Materials Dept. of Engineering and Mechanics, Penn State University.
- Michael D Sangid, Garrett J Pataky, H. Sehitoglu, Reginald F. Hamilton, and H. J. Maier (2012) “High resolution analysis of opening and sliding in fatigue crack growth,” International Journal of Fatigue, 37, pp. 134–45.
- S. Dilibal, Reginald F. Hamilton, H. Sehitoglu, H. J. Maier, and Y. Chumlyakov (2011) “On the volume change in Co-Ni-Al during pseudo elasticity,” Materials Science and Engineering A, 528(12), pp. 2875–81.
- Reginald F. Hamilton, H. Sehitoglu, S. Dilibal, and H. J. Maier (2010) “Underlying Mechanism of the Dual Hysteresis in NiMnGa Single Crystals,” Material Science & Engineering A, 528(3), pp. 1877–81.
- Reginald F. Hamilton, H. Sehitoglu, K. Aslantas, C. Efstathiou, and H. J. Maier (2008) “Inter-martensite Strain Evolution in NiMnGa Single Crystals,” Acta Materialia, 56, pp. 2231.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- Society of Experimental Mechanics (SEM), Member (2013 – Present)
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), Member (2012 – Present)
- Materials Research Society (MRS), Member (2012 – Present)
- Society of Engineering Sciences (SES), Member (2012 – Present)
- The Minerals, Metals, & Material Society, Member (2011 – Present)
- ASM International, Member (2009 – Present)
- the International Organization on Shape Memory and Superelastic Technologies (SMST) (2009 – Present)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), Member (1998 – Present)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Affiliated Faculty, Center for Innovative Materials Processing Through Direct Digital Deposition (Mar 2014 – Present)
- Affiliated Faculty, Penn State Vertical Lift Research Center of Excellence (Aug 2010 – Present)
- Member, Materials Research Institute (Jan 2010 – Present)
- Member, Penn State Institutes of Energy and the Environment (Jan 2010 – Present)
- Member, Penn State HUCK Institutes of the Life Sciences (Jan 2010 – Present)
Login to Edit