Engel, Renata S.
Associate Vice Provost for Online Programs
Office phone: (814) 863-6726
Office address: 222K Outreach Building
- Ph.D., Engineering Mechanics, University of South Florida, 1988
- B.S. (Honors), Engineering Science, The Pennsylvania State University, 1982
Years of Service with Penn State
- 2006 – Present Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics and Engineering Design
- 2006 – May 2014 Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies and International Programs
- 2002 – 2006 Director of the Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence
- 2000 – 2002 Director of Schreyer Institute for Innovations in Learning
- 1996 – 2002 Associate Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics and Engineering Design
- 1990 – 1996 Assistant Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics and Engineering Design
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- 1982 – 1984 Research Engineer, Lord Corporation, Erie, PA
Recent Principal Publications
- C. E. Bakis, R. S. Engel, D. R. Zurovcik, and S. M. Karnes (2007) “Bond Stiffness of FRP Orthogrids Embedded in Concrete,” in proceedings Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Fiber-Reinforced Composites for Reinforced Concrete Structures, pp. CDROM 11–9, FRPRCS-8 University of Patras.
- C. Achterberg and R. S. Engel (2006) “Recasting International Education as a Cornerstone in Honors Education,” in proceedings Innovations in International Education: Proceedings of the Third Schreyer National Conference, pp. 241–253, Penn State.
- L. J. Bechtel, S. L. Cross, R. S. Engel, R. L. Filippelli, A. L. Glenn, R. N. Pangborn, J. N. Harwood, and B. L. Welshofer (2005) “An Objectives-Based Approach to Assessment of General Education,” in proceedings Proceedings of the 2005 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, pp. CDROM 3461, American Society for Engineering Education.
- R. Zhang and R. S. Engel (2004) “Sintering Simulation of Stainless Steel Powder Compacts,” in proceedings International Congress on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (IUTAM), pp. CD ROM, Kluwer Publishing.
- G. Wagle, R. S. Engel, R. Bollina, and R. M. German (2003) “Statistical Analysis of Modified Drucker Prager Cap Model Parameters for Application to Modeling Die Compaction,” in proceedings Proceedings of the 2003 International Conference on Powder Metallurgy & Particulate Materials, pp. CD ROM, MPIF and AMPI International.
- N. J. Salamon and R. S. Engel (2002) “A Management/Grading System for Teaching Design in Mechanics of Materials and Other Courses,” International Journal of Engineering Education, 16(5), pp. 423–429.
- Y. He, R. S. Engel, N. J. Salamon, S. Lindner, and P. Lu (2002) “Numerical Simulation for 316 L Stainless Steel Powder Die Compaction Process,” in proceedings 2001 Fine Powder Processing International Conference Proceedings, pp. 153–166, edited by J. H. Adair, V. M. Puri, and C. C. Huang.
- R. S. Engel, C. E. Bakis, T. E. Boothby, S. Pannala, and S. M. Karnes (2001) “An Analytic Model for CFRP Grid Reinforced Concrete Beams,” in proceedings FRPRCS-5 - Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Fiber Reinforced Plastics for Reinforcement for Concrete Structures, pp. 927–936, edited by C. Burgoyne, Thomas Telford Publishing.
- L. Ruhala and R. S. Engel (2000) “An Investigation of the Effects of Fiber Volume Fraction on the Impact Properties of Fiber Reinforced Composite Laminated Plates,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 19(6), pp. 449–464.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- Society of Women Engineers, Member (2006 – Present)
- American Society for Engineering Education, Fellow (2004 – Present)
- Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering, Member (1995 – Present)
- American Society for Engineering Education, Fellow (1988 – Present)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Member (1986 – Present)
- Society of Engineering Education, President (2010 – 2011)
Professional Licenses or Certifications
- PE-044140-R, Pennsylvania, 1993
- PE-0043279 (inactive), Florida, 1990
Honors and Awards
- James L. Meriam Service Award, American Society for Engineering Education Mechanics Division (2008)
- CASA/SME University LEAD Award (team award), Society of Manufacturing Engineers (2000)
- George W. Atherton Award for Excellence in Teaching, Penn State (1999)
- Boeing Outstanding Educator Award (team award), Boeing Corporation (1998)
- Penn State Engineering Society Award for Outstanding Teaching, Penn State Engineering Society (1997)
- Dow Outstanding Young Faculty Award, American Society for Engineering Education (1992)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Member, Student Affairs Research and Assessment Committee, Penn State (2004 – Present)
- Reviewer, Framework to Foster Diversity, Penn State (2006 – 2007)
- Chair Coordinating Committee on University Assessment, Penn State (2005 – 2007)
- Vice President Member Affairs, American Society for Engineering Education (2004 – 2006)
- Member, Steering Committee; Chair, Student Learning Outcomes Subcommittee, Middles States Accreditation Committee, Penn State (2003 – 2005)
- Zone I Chair-Elect (2001–2002) and Chair (2002–2003), American Society for Engineering Education
- Mechanics Division: Secretary/Treasurer (1991–1994); Executive Committee (1995–1999); Program Chair (1996–1997); Chair (1997–1998); Awards Committee (1996–1998); Nominating Committee (1998–1999), American Society for Engineering Education
- Middle Atlantic Section: Vice-Chair (1993–1994); Chair-Elect (1994–1995); Chair (1995–1996); Awards Committee (1996–1998); Nominating Committee (1998–1999), American Society for Engineering Education
Login to Edit