Professor of Engineering Science and Mechanics and Bioengineering
Office phone: (814) 865-7640
Office address: N-231 Millennium Science Complex
Office hours: Wednesday: 3:00 - 5:00pm
Office hours location: EES Building
Office hours phone: (814) 865-7640
- Ph.D., Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (Solid Mechanics), University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2002
- M.S., Solid Mechanics, Tsinghua University, China, 1997
Years of Service with Penn State
- July 2016 – Present Professor
- July 2011 – June 2016 Associate Professor
- Aug 2007 – June 2011 Assistant Professor
Other Related Experience — Teaching, Industrial, Etc.
- Aug 2005 – July 2007 Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR
- June 2002 – June 2005 Postdoc fellow, Mechanical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
Recent Principal Publications
- XiaoHua et al. Liu (2012) “In situ atomic scale imaging of electrochemical lithiation of silicon.,” Nature Nanotechnology..
- XiaoHua et al. Liu (2011) “Anisotropic swelling and fracture of silicon nanowires during lithiation (cited 35 times),” Nano Letters, 11, pp. 3312–3318.
- Hongyan Yuan, Changjin Huang, George Lykotrafitis, Ju Li, and Sulin Zhang (2010) “One-particle-thick, solvent-free, coarse-grained model for biological and biomimetic fluid membranes (cited 7 times),” Physical Review E, 82, pp. 011905.
- Hongyan Yuan, Ju Li, Gang Bao, and Sulin Zhang (2010) “Variable nanoparticle-cell adhesion strength regulates cellular uptake (cited 10 times),” Physical Review Letters, 105, pp. 138101.
- Sulin Zhang, Ju Li, George Lykotrafitis, Gang Bao, and Subra Suresh (2009) “Size-dependent endocytosis of nanoparticles (cited 87 times),” Advanced Materials, 21, pp. 419–424.
- Sulin Zhang, S. L. Mielke, R. Khare, D. Troya, R. S. Ruoff, G. C. Schatz, and T. Belytschko (2005) “Mechanics of defects in carbon nanotubes: atomistic and multiscale simulations (cited 127 times),” Physical Review B, 71, pp. 115403.
Consulting, Patents, and Scientific and Professional Society Memberships
- Biomedical Engineering Society, Member (2008 – Present)
- Materials Society of Research, Member (2002 – Present)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Member (2001 – Present)
Honors and Awards
- PSEAS Outstanding Research Award, PSU (2016)
- ICS Fellow, PSU (2011)
- Rustum and Della Roy Innovation in Materials Research Award, PSU (2011)
- NSF Early CAREER Development Award, National Science Foundation (Mar 2007)
- The Oak Ridge Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award, Oak Ridge National Laboratory (Mar 2006)
Recent Institutional and Professional Service
- Committee Member for “Graduate student Recruitement/Retention”, ESM (Apr 2008 – Present)
- Committee member for “Candidacy exam/Mechanics”, ESM (Mar 2008 – Present)
- Journal Reviewer, Physical Review Letters; Physical Review B; Nano Letters; Nanotechnology; International Journal of Numerical Methods in Engineering; Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter; etc. (Jan 2002 – Present)
- Symposium organizer, Fall meeting of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (July 2007 – Nov 2007)
- Member of Technical Committee of Computational Mechanics Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Nov 2006 – Nov 2007)
- Symposium organizer, The 9th National Congress on Computational Mechanics (Mar 2007 – July 2007)
- National Science Foundation Panelist, NSF, Nanoscale Interdisciplinary Rsearch Team (NIRT) (Mar 2007 – Mar 2007)
- National Science Foundation Panelist, NSF, Nano-bio program (Mar 2006 – Mar 2006)
Login to Edit