E MCH 011: STATICS
(3 credits) Equilibrium of coplanar force systems; analysis of frames and trusses; noncoplanar force systems; friction; centroids and moments of inertia.
Prerequisites and Corequisities
Prerequisite or concurrent: Math 141.
3 hrs lecture, 3 credits, every semester
Engineering Science, Engineering topics, Statics in elementary design
- Engineering Mechanics, Statics Study Guide, J. Pytel, 2nd ed., Brooks Cole (optional text).
(letters in parentheses denote a-k of ABET Criterion)
- Identify problems involving static and dynamic friction, belt friction concept, apply friction concepts to solve pending motion, and steady state motion problems (a,b,c,e,k)
- Utilize differential masses, the concepts of equivalent systems, and integration to determine centers of gravity (CG) and /or centers of mass (CM), as well as moments of Inertia (a,e,k)
- 3D equilibrium
- Friction, motion, impending motion, belt friction
- Center of Mass, Center of Gravity, Moment of Inertia
- Trusses, Frames
- three-one hours exams @ 20% each
- team work homework, and participation
- final exam