Dr. Charles E. Bakis
212 Earth-Engineering Sciences Bldg
Penn State University
University Park, PA 16802
Office location: see below
Phone: (814) 865-3178
Fax: (814) 863-6031
How to Find Me
- My actual office (not mailing address) is in Room 1 Research West Bldg. Go in the only glass door facing Atherton St. Once in the lobby, go to the first office to your right.
- Office hours for the Fall 2016 semester: 9:00-10:00 A.M. Tues. and Thurs., or by appointment.
- B.S. (Mechanical Engineering), Lehigh University
- M.S., PhD. (Engineering Mechanics), Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
My main research interests are the manufacturing, performance, evaluation, and mechanics of fiber reinforced composite materials. Application areas include fixed and rotary wing aircraft, civil structures, and energy conversion/storage.
My recent projects projects include:
- Nanofillers for multifunctional structural composites
- Characterization and modeling of externally bonded composite (FRP) reinforcements for concrete under elevated temperature and sustained loads
- Flexible matrix composites for highly deformable, active, and morphing structures
- Optimal design of composite flywheel energy storage rims
- 3D printed composite materials
- Structural batteries for automotive applications
Titles of Representative Publications
- Jeong, Y., Lopez, M. M., and Bakis, C. E., “Effects of Temperature and Sustained Loading on the Mechanical Response of CFRP Bonded to Concrete,” Construction and Building Materials, 124:442-452 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.07.123.
- Menna, C., Bakis, C. E., and Prota, A., “Effect of Nanofiller Length and Orientation Distributions on Mode I Fracture Toughness of Unidirectional Fiber Composites,” J. Composite Materials, 50(10):1331-1352 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0021998315590865.
- Henry, T. C., Bakis, C. E., Riddick, J. C., “Three-Dimensional Elastic Behavior of Undulating Laminas in Fiber Composites,” J. Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 35(2):151-164 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0731684415609429.
- Gungor, S., and Bakis, C. E., “Indentation Damage Detection in Glass/Epoxy Composite Laminates with Electrically Tailored Conductive Nanofiller,” J. Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 27(5):679-688 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1045389X15577644.
- Tallman, T. N., Gungor, S., Wang, K. W., and Bakis, C. E., “Tactile Imaging and Distributed Strain Sensing in Highly Flexible Carbon Nanofiber/Polyurethane Nanocomposites,” Carbon, 95:485-493 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2015.08.029.
- Makeev, A., Bakis, C., Strauch, E., Chris, M., Holemans, P., Miller, G., Nguyen, D., Spencer, D., and Patz, N., “Advanced Composites Materials Technology for Rotorcraft Through the Use of Nanoadditives,” J. American Helicopter Society, 60(3):032008 (2015), 10 p. http://dx.doi.org/10.4050/JAHS.60.032008.
- Singh, A. K., Cao, L., Ma, J., Seo, J., Bakis, C. E., Zhang, Y., Hickner, M. A., and Rahn, C. D., “Design, Manufacture and Test of a Novel Structural Battery Based on Sandwich Construction,” J. Sandwich Structures and Materials, 17(6):666-690 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1099636215591908.
- Gungor, S., and Bakis, C. E., “Anisotropic Networking of Carbon Black in Glass/Epoxy Composites using Electric Field,” J. Composite Materials, 49:535-544 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0021998314521256.
- Tallman, T. N., Gungor, S., Wang, K. W., and Bakis, C. E., “Damage Detection via Electrical Impedance Tomography in Glass Fiber/Epoxy Laminates with Carbon Black Filler,” Structural Health Monitoring, 14(1):100-109 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1475921714554142.
- Miller, S. W., Little, E. J., Yukish, M. A., Bakis, C. E., and Smith, E. C., “Rate Effects and Environmental Sensitivity of Textile Energy Absorbers,” J. American Helicopter Society, 60:022009 (2015), 10 p. http://dx.doi.org/10.4050/JAHS.60.022009
- Henry, T. C, Bakis, C. E. and Smith, E. C., “Determination of Effective Ply-Level Properties of Filament Wound Composite Tubes Loaded in Compression,” J. Testing and Evaluation, 43(1):20130159 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1520/JTE20130159.
- Henry, T. C., Bakis, C. E., Miller, S. W., and Smith, E. C., “Multi-Objective Optimal Design of Composite Rotorcraft Driveshaft Including Strain Rate and Temperature Effects,” Composite Structures, 128:42-53 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.03.029.
- Zhu, B., Rahn, C. D., and Bakis, C. E., “Fluidic Flexible Matrix Composite Damping Treatment for a Cantilever Beam,” J. Sound and Vibration, 340:80-94 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2014.11.042.
Courses Taught at Penn State
- EMCH 211, Statics
- EMCH 213, Strength of Materials
- EMCH 210H, Equilibrium Mechanics
- EMCH 402 & 506, Experimental Stress Analysis
- EMCH 440, Nondestructive Evaluation
- EMCH 471, Engineering Composite Materials
- EMCH 473, Composites Processing
- ESCI 497, Materials for Green Design in Engineering
- EMCH 509, Theory of Plates and Shells
- EMCH 581, Micromechanics of Composites
- EMCH 597, High Power Energy Storage for Electric Vehicles
- American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- American Helicopter Society (AHS)
- American Society for Composites - Fellow
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) - Fellow
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- International Institute for Fiber Reinforced Polymers in Construction (IIFC) - Fellow
- Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering (SAMPE)
- Society for Experimental Mechanics (SEM)
Selected Professional Service:
- Former Editor and current Editorial Board Member, Journal of Composites for Construction, ASCE
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Sandwich Structures and Materials, Sage
- Past President and current Executive Committee Member, American Society for Composites
- Voting Member, Committee D30, Composite Materials, ASTM
- Vice-chair, Committee D30.10, Composites for Civil Structures, ASTM
- Chair, Subcommittee on Material Characteristics, Committee 440 on Fiber Reinforced Polymers, ACI
- Member at Large, Executive Committee, International Institute for Fiber Reinforced Polymers in Construction
- Director, Penn State Composites Manufacturing Technology Center
- Founding Member, Graduate Automotive Technology Education (GATE) Center, Penn State
- Member, Vertical Lift Research Center of Excellence, Penn State
- Member, Larson Transportation Institute, Penn State