How to use this site
Navigating the site
This website contains many pages of information on Design in Strength of Materials. Navigate them using the blue menu bar on the left hand side of the site. The links on the blue menu bar will change depending on the current page you are viewing. This menu bar always provides links that are relevant to the current page.
Your location in the site is always visible in the gray bar along the top of the page. The links in this bar are convenient for backtracking to a higher level page.
Links back to all the top level pages are always visible in the gray menu bar at the bottom of the page.
Many hyperlinks within actual page content are available that link to related pages within the site. Also some hyperlinks will take you to web pages on other websites not maintained by the operators of this site. Links to outside sites are not guaranteed to always work.
The links currently showing in the left hand navigation bar take you to the important top level pages. The following list describes their function:
- Design Flowcharts: Annotated flowcharts showing the basic flow of the design process and design projects.
- Step-by-step Procedures: A collection of instructions on how to go about working on design projects, interactive examples demonstrating design of products, guidlines on formatting design reports with a sample report, and downloadable pdf forms for students taking the Strength of Materials with Design courses.
- Tutorials and Instructional Resources: Supplementary information useful for doing design work. Much of this information is in PDF form and may be downloaded. A collection of interesting animations demonstrating strength of materials concepts is also available here.
- Project Library: A gallery of past design projects with project statements.
- Links and Resources: A number of pages containing annotated links to many onsite and offsite pages with information on materials, standards, product manufacturing, anthropometric data, and general design information.
- Contact and Feedback: Information on how to contact or send feedback to the administrators of this site.
- Instructor Notes: Information for instructors using this site.
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. 0633602. Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recomendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation (NSF).
© Copyright 1995-2022 All rights reserved.
Pennsylvania State University
Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics
Send comments about this site to: email@example.com
This publication is available on alternative media on request.